Instagram: food plating

Throughout the summer months whilst researching for my GARP I have been looking at plating imagery frequently via Instagram and have compiled a collection of imagery which caught my eye and I saved to my collection. I thought it would be interesting to see as a collection and see if there was any patterns in all of the images I saved and also to look on them as a collection rather than individual images (which is how I was seeing them throughout the process).






I've found that majority of the images which I saved consist of a white plate with a lot of white space surrounding the food. The composition of the food also seems to follow a similar pattern which is mostly being central to the plate and rounded or being to the side of the plate in a strip. However there is definitely exceptions to this e.g. black plates with very bright, colourful elements and coloured plates, in this case teal seems to be a very appealing colour to me (which I believe is a personal preference as it is my favourite colour), I have also realised that garnishes ( especially flowers) are also something I find highly appealing as well as cross sections of meat that are cooked medium rare. This was interesting to me overall as it showed what I find eye catching in an everyday format in which I am not necessarily thinking about it.

Comments